Pallet Porch Console

I made something today that I am pretty excited about.

I have been wanting a table on our porch for many reasons. A drink station for the kids was the main motivation for this console. But I can use it for so much more – coffee or wine bar, garden cart, storage, snacks and for seasonal display.
It all started with these two pallets that I have been storing in our garage. I didn’t go to the store for one thing today – I love uninterrupted projects (no store trips anyway).
I cut the sold pallet in half (with my hubbies help) and glued and screwed them together and just left one top piece of wood for the back panel. I used the other pallet for legs by cutting the two ends off along the 1×4’s. Then cut those almost in half to make four legs.
 I used an old 2×4 to make all the legs the same length and applied a center piece to keep the legs straight. (hopefully you can see in the pictures how I did it – I am not great at explaining every detail – that’s why I give you lots of photos) The legs needed wood cris-cross beams from the pallet to keep them sturdy.
I mostly used my nail gun to put this together.
For a decorative detail I used a fence rail spindle cut in half centered on the front in two places (you can see the light arrows pointing to them in the right side picture above). Where the three black stars are I used 1×6 wood to sort of “clean up” the wood ends.  (the dark piece of wood was from Ben’s IKEA bed that I cut down – I never throw scrap wood away) The red star marks where I applied a flat fence post topper to the shelf center.
I used dark walnut stain on the front and top but in the hard to reach areas and “rough” wood spots I used black spray paint. When it dried I sanded it all to give it a worn look. Blended great.
Then for some other little details…
Brackets with an iron scroll tied to them with twine tops off the back panel. On one side I used my old coffee cup hanger for tools or coffee mugs and a hummingbird hook on the opposite side for something decorative.
I used a little iron nail button in the center of the shelf on the flat fence topper.
What a useful piece of furniture – basically built for free.
If you like the star hanging on my chicken coop door you can make one too – go HERE for that post.
A perfect console for my porch!
Laurie
June 10, 2013 2:54 am

OK I need to follow you around for a day. This is amazing! I never would have thunk!

Korrie@RedHenHome
June 10, 2013 3:07 am

This is wonderful! Love that it came out of your own head 😉

June 10, 2013 4:41 am

NO way I would have looked at 2 pallets and come up with that. Awesome!! I can think of so many uses for that thing.. in my home :-)Luv it Holly. Hugs, Gee

Corn in my Coffee-Pot
June 10, 2013 4:51 am

Wow! Love the recycle and repurpose aspect for this project. I couldn't quite wrap my mind around the the cuts and piecing together…I must be tired. :/ …because it looked pretty simple! I like it! and am pinning it. Pat

srpprcrftr
June 10, 2013 4:55 am

Oh boy I know hubs will be tickled to have me print out one more pallet project for him to make. I love your porch table, it's great, design is a bit different than others I've seen also. Very snazzy to be sure. Had to save it as there isn't enuf ink left to print. Can hardly wait to show hubs. We have lots of pallets to make things with. He really doesn't like having to take them apart but once he does he's ok. I manage to find something to do in the house when he's dismantling them. Mean… Read more »

Marina Pérez
June 10, 2013 6:22 am

I love it, I love it, I really love it! Marina

June 10, 2013 7:04 am

Wow–that was quite the project! You did a great job. It looks heavy duty like it will last outside a long time!

Larissa
June 10, 2013 10:16 am

Very creative and useful! I love maiking use of my stash, especially for something as useful as a table. Good job!

reFresh reStyle
June 10, 2013 11:15 am

Make me one! Love it 🙂

Gail
June 10, 2013 11:45 am

That turned out great Holly! I love it. You are a superwoman working with pallets. I have given up on them….they are too much work getting them apart. Enjoy your day, Gail

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper
June 10, 2013 12:46 pm

i love this, holly! i love the crossbars on the base!

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
June 10, 2013 1:34 pm

It blows me away that so many fabulous things can be made from pallets. You are so creative to have come up with this idea. I like all the little extras you added to it.

Tina C
June 10, 2013 1:51 pm

I don't build stuff, but if I did…I love it, Holly.

Mary Ann
June 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Holly, I must say, it looks good, but I have a caveat for you. We bought two sets of two chairs and a table (so four chairs and two tables) made from pallet wood last year. None of these was painted, and they had been stapled and short screws used on them. One set has held together okay, the other is ready for our burn pit, and we have it in our pasture where our goats can climb on it. I was warned that unfinished pallet wood would need to be treated before being used, and I ignored the warnings… Read more »

June 10, 2013 2:47 pm

Wow this is such a great project and love the way it turned out. You are right it can serve so many different purposes.Cynthia

Bliss
June 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Seriously????? Can you make a silk purse out of sows ear too? Amazing.Bliss

Angela Ryder
June 10, 2013 3:01 pm

Awesome! I have a couple pallets laying around that I've been trying to figure out what to do with them! Can you come help me build one? Please! LOL!! Great job!!~~Angela

pink*cherub*moon
June 10, 2013 5:15 pm

This is so creative and absolutely awesome! I love it! Great addition to the porch! Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Leena

June 10, 2013 5:17 pm

as always you blow me away…..LOVE IT..you have been one busy gal this weekend. I didn't built anything this weekend (since I don't know how to use tools) …LOL…but my friend gave me her old potting shed which I stained and will decorate this week. You just gave me some ideas….PINNING

Linda@Coastal Charm
June 10, 2013 6:26 pm

What a nifty thrifty idea and it's perfect for your porch.Blessings,Linda

pballard
June 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Love it. What a neat idea. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage
June 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Wow! What a great piece! I am very impressed!

June 10, 2013 10:02 pm

Oh I like this latest project, Holly!! Love its chunkiness with the added pretty details.Mary Alice

lauren @ West Furniture Revival
June 11, 2013 4:21 am

LOVE IT! great upcycle, i would love to feature it, if that would be ok please let me know,lauren

ImSoVintage
June 11, 2013 10:42 am

Wow, great job. 🙂

Leslie Harris
June 11, 2013 5:01 pm

Ok it's official. You need your own show. Where are the producers for HGTV when you need them? This is a wonderfully creative-cool-idea. Love it!Leslie aka gwen moss

June 12, 2013 3:08 am

Are you sure you weren't a carpenter in another life? You really created something special for your porch. It has style and function!

June 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Holly, You amaze me. I love it. I would love to hang with you in your garage as you are creating! Can't wait to see you stage it for the seasons.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs
June 13, 2013 7:03 pm

This table is so amazing!!!….you are so incredibly creative and talented…just love it!!!

Yvonne @ StoneGable
June 14, 2013 12:44 am

LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT! What a great piece, Holly! And to think you made it from pallets and a few other things! Wonderful tutorial too!Love your little embellishments too! It looks great on your porch.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs
June 14, 2013 1:19 pm

Oh Holly…I forgot to mention that you are being featured on my blog today (Friday, June 14th!) Have a great weekend!

Home and Lifestyle Design
June 14, 2013 1:59 pm

I love your beverage table. I just found your blog through Hospitality Designs post about your porch, lovely, and I am your newest follower. I would love for you to come by my blog sometime at http://homeandlifestyledesign.blogspot.comThanks, Patty

Julia Terpstra
June 15, 2013 7:32 pm

I love your awesome carpentry skills and also how humble you are! If I made something like that I wouldn't be able to get over myself. :-)How you can take two free pallets and make a $1,000 piece of furniture out of it I will never know!IN AWE. I can't wait to see pictures of it decorated for each season… xoxo jules

Pieced Pastimes
June 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Your cart turned out wonderful! Love the idea that you made this from a pallet. It looks perfectly at home on your porch.Thanks for sharing,SuzannePieced PastimesPS-Would love to have you link this up to Saturday Sparks. Links open till Friday.

Jenn Meckley
June 20, 2013 8:50 pm

I tried to make my own LOL… not as cute as yours but I like it 🙂 Thanks for the inspiration!!!!

Lynn@FernAvenueBlog
June 22, 2013 1:23 am

Holly this is awesome!! I love it…

Elma
July 1, 2013 10:25 pm

Where do you come up with all these awesome ideas?? LOVE it!!!

Pendra
July 5, 2013 11:28 pm

Holly you are tooooo creative! Love this to bits and have the perfect spot on the deck for it! My husband works for a large home improvement store and handles pallets all day long…but they send them back to the warehouse to be reused for shipping…DARN! I've pinned this (I need to start a new board just for your creations)and hopefully me and my not so handy man can come up with something sorta close (hahahaha) to yours!Hugs,Pendrap.s. can you tell I'm trying to catch up on your posts, I've missed most of last month so don't mind all my… Read more »

lauren @ West Furniture Revival
August 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Not sure if you caught the feature you can see it here,laurenand thanks again for letting me show your workhttp://westfurniturerevival.blogspot.com/2013/06/revival-monday-116.html