A Project I Love…still

I am a girl who changes things around my house pretty often. Less, since our move last year into a rental home but I want to share some more pictures of a recent project that I am so glad I did.
A couple of months ago I painted a checker board top on our family dining table.
You can see that post HERE.

I am just giving a little update to tell my readers that THIS was one project that I am so happy that I did.
One of my favorite pieces of furniture I own – a workbench that was handed down to me from a sweet friend. Sturdy and heavy as anything.
All our homework supplies and games fit on the shelf below for easy access. I wanted to tell you, also, that the top was originally plywood with lots of holes. When I wanted to use it for dining – I went to the lumber store and purchased a thin piece of birch sheet wood and glued it to the top. Then I caulked the seam with black caulking and used clamps to hold it in place to dry for a few days. The birch wood was around $20. It stained dark beautifully.
But the shiny dark finish showed every little crumb.
After I applied the flat shine and distressed white and dark color-
the little messes are so much less noticeable.
Which – makes me very happy. This table is the center of everything….games, homework, entertaining and family conversation (which is getting so much more interesting as our kids get older – 10 year old boys are so dang fun!).
Plus…we enjoyed our long Memorial Day weekend – not so much at our awesome dining table but in our little backyard. Green grass – I love green lush grass (drives the hubby nuts).
So did Mazi – my 7 month old Morkie. I have fallen in love with her. 5 pounds and so super sweet. She goes potty outside and she learned to fetch…..good girl (said in a high pitch/singsong voice that embarrasses the boys so bad!)
She wasn’t cheap but she is worth every penny and more.
I hope you all have projects and ‘things’ in your life that you absolutely love.
Summer is right around the corner – we have some fun plans – hope you do too!
May 28, 2013 12:59 am

Hmmm, I guess in my busy last few months i missed the post on the table redo :-/ Great idea! Luv the distressing on the top making the squares less than perfect. I was just walking on our lush green back yard smelling my roses climbing on the arbour and trying to weed with the help of an 80lb, 3 year old Chocolate lab. Hahaha!!! Not an easy task. Enjoy your boys. I promise, they get so darn cuter and the conversations more interesting as they age. Luv my 2 boys!Hugs, Gee

Coastal Cottage Dreams
May 28, 2013 1:00 am

I love your table, so adorable and great job.Maxi is adorable too! Hope you had a lovely weekend.

Nancy
May 28, 2013 1:52 am

I have \”lush green grass\” envy!!!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky)
May 28, 2013 2:25 am

The table checkerboard looks great. Seriously, you come up with the coolest ideas Holly! Your pup is cute.

Cecilia Bramhall
May 28, 2013 2:41 am

Love your table redo! Great way to hide the crumbs! LOL. Seriously, it rocks. And your Mazi is adorable.

Laurie
May 28, 2013 3:28 am

Mazi is so sweet! Your table is genius, love the checkerboard!

Susan @ homeroad.net
May 28, 2013 11:08 am

I love checkerboard anything… I love your table! Right now I'm trying to find a checkerboard floor mat (or make one) for my kitchen… Love your home!Susan

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
May 28, 2013 1:22 pm

Love the creative re-do of your table! It's so unique. Your little Mazi is so adorable…and love your lush, green yard!

May 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Your checkerboard table reminds me of the checkerboard foyer of your last house. I think that is your signature look! I'm sure it works great to camouflage table messes!

May 28, 2013 3:08 pm

i do love that table, too! mazi is so sweet, holly, all 5 pounds of her!

Mary Ann
May 28, 2013 3:17 pm

Your boys will have great memories of that table one day!

May 28, 2013 7:38 pm

yup… that table is truly unique….

Pendra
May 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Ooooh Mazi is getting so BIG! She is the cutest little stinker!! We finally have green grass here in Minnesota, went from the heat to air in 1 day and right back to the heat on today…I'm freezing and had to break down and do it! We had a house full yesterday and enjoyed every moment. First time we had all out Grandkids here in the new house at the same time…it was GREAT! Been busy re-doing my sisters kitchen…even though I have lots to do here, but it's coming along beautifully. Kinda miss seeing what you are up to… Read more »

reFresh reStyle
May 29, 2013 1:05 am

Love it and your puppy 🙂 Have a great week :)Pinning!Debbie

Amy Kinser
May 29, 2013 1:43 pm

I love your table. I love your puppy. I love that you have twin 10 year old sons. Did I tell you my husband has an identical twin? Your sons need to meet my 10 year old girl. Such fun they would have watching their moms change things around in their homes. :)Check out my Girl Time #12 post which I posted a day late.

May 29, 2013 5:52 pm

The table is very pretty and love the worn look. The pup is too cute.Cynthia

Elma
May 29, 2013 6:23 pm

Love the table and I LOVE the lush green grass !! I just cant get grass to grow in my yard:(

Symanthia J
June 1, 2013 8:23 pm

Everything is beautiful as always…and I can see why you love that fur baby….super cute! I have a Maltese baby girl…and I sure love her too…such great breeds we have!