My Secret to Glazing Cabinets etc…

I make rustic furniture for my small local business.  For several years I have used this simple recipe for beautifully antiqued looking wood. I have a secret “antiquing/glazing” technique that I am going to share with you.

I find that light color paints are especially hard to “glaze” so I’ve tried several methods to get the glazed and antiqued look just right.
This is what works best for me.

~~~My secret weapon~~~
Generic Baby Oil!
I recently glazed cream color cabinets for a client of mine.
Here’s how:

Once the cabinets are painted I take my hand sander with 120 grit paper.
Carefully sand small areas where the cabinets might naturally wear over time.
Once the desired amount of wood is showing through use a tack cloth to clean the cabinets of dust.

Next – use a very small paint brush to apply ebony or walnut stain to the exposed wood and to the turned part of the cabinet creases (a little goes a long way). Only do one door or drawer at a time – otherwise this method won’t work. You must work quickly.
After you apply the stain use baby oil on an old T-shirt and wipe (with pressure) the stained areas until the stain color is all blended. Practice your technique on a low drawer or door first so you can get a feel for how quickly you have to work and how much pressure you’ll need to apply to get the stain to “move” around.

Once you have blended the stain your cabinet should look something like this:

Let the stain dry for a day or two before sealing with poly.  Make sure the cabinets are clean and free of oil before applying any sealer.
I have tried using glaze mixed with a small amount of stain and I always come up with a pink or purple hue. This “baby oil technique” is easier and leaves your cabinets the true color you wanted them – with a bit of rustic accent.
I use this technique for furniture and anything wood that I want to look aged or antiqued.
It’s been my secret recipe for beautifully antiqued wood pieces…
Now it’s yours.

blhitchcock901
March 30, 2012 2:22 am

Thanks so much for sharing. I've been trying to get ths look for years and just grew tired of the work. I think I'll try this.

Tiaras & Bow Ties - Think Smink
March 30, 2012 2:24 am

Thank you for sharing your special technique with us! I am excited to try this because I do not have the best of luck with aging mostly light colored pieces without them just looking dirty and muddy. I have a feeling that now that the secrets out, my distressing technique will improve!

Peggy~PJH Designs
March 30, 2012 2:41 am

Thanks so much for sharing your technique with us. I will certainly give this a try next time I need to glaze a light colored piece. Visiting from FNF. Have a great weekend. Peggy

The Bold Abode
March 30, 2012 3:21 am

Ooo…thanks for sharing your secret!

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate
March 30, 2012 3:41 am

Thanks for sharing your technique. I am definately gonna give this a try!

March 30, 2012 5:13 am

Thanks for sharing–your clients cabinets look great!

Christine
March 30, 2012 6:08 am

Thank you so much for the tutorial! I've been thinking of doing this in our kitchen, and now it doesn't seem so intimidating! Thank YOU!!! I'm your newest follower :)xo-Christinewww.firsthomelovelife.com

Bliss
March 30, 2012 2:35 pm

Who knew! My what genius you have that lurks within.~Bliss~

ImSoVintage
March 30, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this great tip. I would have never guessed baby oil 🙂

emanuelle
March 31, 2012 1:09 pm

Now your cabinets look great and very vintage!!! I like it 🙂

Anne
March 31, 2012 1:25 pm

Cool! Thanks for sharing that!!xox

Revi
March 31, 2012 3:08 pm

Awesome tip! Thanks for sharing. I will definitely try this one, Holly. :)-Revi

TracyMB @ Crows Feet Chic
March 31, 2012 3:47 pm

Wow, thanks for sharing this with us! I would love to tackle my crisp white kitchen cabinets… now I MUST! 🙂

Pamela
March 31, 2012 9:36 pm

Thank you for sharing your secret!:)

Because (I think) I Can
April 1, 2012 4:33 am

That is fantastic!! I can't wait to use it on my next project!Thank you!Leanne @ Because (I think) I Can

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic
April 2, 2012 2:57 am

Thank you for sharing! I need all the help I can get. This technique looks perfectly worn.Have a great week!~Shanon

April 2, 2012 3:09 am

These cabinets look so good! I want to try. My cabinets are melamine-do you think it will work?

Junky Vagabond
April 2, 2012 5:17 pm

Never tried the baby oil – good tip! It really turns out a pretty product.

April 3, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks for the tip! Your work is such an inspiration. Carolyn{my simple messterpiece}

JulieS13
July 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi there! Thank you for the tutorial. Do you leave the ends of the cabinets with just paint or do you add glaze to them also? Thanks for your help!

Dear Emmeline
August 25, 2012 12:34 pm

🙂 Thanks for sharing your tip Holly! They look great! Following now so I can see all that you're up to!

Candy
November 19, 2012 12:38 am

Great tip, and great look. THANKS for sharing.CandyPICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com

French Hen's Nest
November 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Wow great tips! thanks so much for sharing. I am going to use this on a french dresser I just painted white. Please check us out at the French Hen's Nest.We found you through It's Just Me blog. We are following you now!

CreativaCale
November 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Thanks!I love,love Creative bloggers:)))http:/creativacale.blogspot.com

nana
nana
December 28, 2012 1:55 am

Did you use oil base stain?

Marina Pérez
January 9, 2013 11:53 am

I love DIY. You have a new followerhttp://marinainblue.blogspot.com.es/

JLee
February 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi. Thank you so much for this tip. I always struggle when painting a piece white and then trying to stain where I sanded without changing the \”white\”. I just painted a telephone table for someone on Monday and used white. I wish I had read this first!! Check out my blog I just started to see some of the pieces I have painted.http://jleebeholdallthingsnew.blogspot.com/

Christia French
April 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Can you use this technique with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint?

D Rhodes
April 27, 2013 10:03 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

D Rhodes
April 27, 2013 10:04 pm

Hi! I've been on your site previously. I have a dark island and was wondering what to use on the dark island. The dark walnut doesn't show up on the espresso island. Thanks!

Yvonne Angus
July 21, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi, Holly! Love this look, but am wondering…you said to remove all oils before adding the poly. How do you do this step without removing the work you just did? Thanks for your help!

mugsmommy
November 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Hello! LOVE your blog and helpful hints! Can you tell me what color the cabinets where painted before you glazed them? I'm trying to find the right white/off white to paint my cabinets. My walls are Providence Olive.Thanks so much!!!

Mardi Sale
July 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! I couldn't just accept your technique without trying it myself. It worked beautifully. I'm redoing an older home with over 60 (not complaining, mind you) cabinet doors and drawers in the kitchen and adjoining utility room. I can't justify replacing them because they are solid. The color on the uppers is fine, but it needs character. Now I can paint the lowers a coordinating color, antique them all and when the new appliances, counters and back splash are done, have an awesome kitchen. I've gotten so many wonderful tips online, but I think this… Read more »

sas grinfo
September 27, 2014 9:14 am

I read your blog. its simply superb. Useful Information about Bakery Equipments Manufacturers. Thanks for sharingRefrigeration Equipments Manufacturers

William Walker
October 1, 2014 8:47 pm

I didn't know that glazing was making the wood look old and real. I thought it was making the wood shine. This was very informative and I might do it for my kitchen cabinets. http://www.aqualiteglass.com.au

Marlene P
October 29, 2014 3:57 pm

What a great technique! Thank you so much for sharing this. I used it on my cabinets and they came out fabulous! Previously I would've used oil paint and a thinner and this is so much easier, less toxic and way cheaper! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Mollypants
January 6, 2015 8:35 pm

First of all, THANK YOU for at least showing me how to do the detailing. We're in the midst of re-painting our cabinets and this is exactly what I wanted – to get the detailing in the millwork, maybe a LITTLE glaze all over, but I still wanted to walk in and say \”those are white cabinets\”. The wipe-off glaze I tested seemed so thick that I couldn't wipe off enough from the flat parts without noticeable marks. Second – the paint salesman convinced me to use Polycrylic instead of Polyurethane. Can I still use Polycrylic if baby oil has… Read more »

Ron and Tracie Hodgson
January 8, 2015 4:35 pm

I think you should all be aware that if you don't get ever bit of oil off your cabinets your clear coat will peel. Not worth the risk to me as a professional painter. I'll stick with a bit of glaze or floetrol.

Emily Brooklyn
January 29, 2015 2:00 am

Good Job! a white kitchen cabinets look better.

Melissa Bell
March 7, 2015 2:44 pm

I was wondering what type of paint did you paint the cabinets with? Chalk Paint, enamel, flat, semi gloss??? Also, the cabinets that I will be painting are like a pressed board sides, the doors and front of cabinets are wood. Do I use a different type or kind of paint on the sides that are not real wood? Thank you so much for sharing.

mike stathos
January 5, 2016 7:29 am

Its really great post you have shared, which is informative and knowledgeable. I appreciate your great work. Keep me more updates. Kitchen remodeling Austin

Marlene P
June 4, 2016 7:07 pm

To the person who asked about using poly on top of the baby oil, I never used poly on my cabinets. I left them exactly as they were, after using the oil, and the glaze hardened perfectly. I personally hate poly of any kind so I decided to forgo it and see what happened. Well, it's been a year and a half, and they still look great. I'm not speaking for the person who wrote this blog, but I'm just suggesting that maybe you don't need to poly at all. 🙂

callibugsmama
October 21, 2016 1:44 am

Can this work over top of wax? We've already chalk painted and waxed the cabinets.