Modern-Rustic Family Room

Our family room gets rearranged more than any other room in the house. The carpet isn’t in great shape so I covered the center of it with an inexpensive black and white stripe rug. (from TJ Maxx for $49)

Some friends of ours were getting rid of this leather sofa and offered it up to us. “Yes….I want it!” Thank you!!! It is just the right scale and color for this room.
I used some industrial looking shelving to store the TV, DVD player, cable box, books and blankets.
My husband and I just removed one of the center shelves to accommodate the size of the TV.
Turning the books backwards makes them blend with the color scheme better. I saw this idea in a magazine years ago and loved it.
The growth chart, horse art and kids photos make the back wall full of personal expression and frame out the window without using curtains.
Besides the industrial shelving (which was originally purchased for THIS room) and the new/old leather sofa the rest of the room stayed the same as it has been for several months.
If you are interested in seeing how this room has transformed see these related posts: Rustic Growth Chart, Ladder Frame, Paint Letters on an Old Window and Family Room)
Read more about that coffee table here.

I haven’t really been one for leather because I always thought it would feel cold….but so far – it’s the hottest seat in the house. (that’s my Morkie dog, Mazi)

I am loving the contrast of the dark sofas and light walls. My family can live here without leaving too many stains and scars.

Have a super fun week!!!!
xo,

Linking with:
Kammy’s Corner, Cozy Little House, A Stroll Thru Life Savvy Southern Style//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.jshttp://ads.blogherads.com/96/9634/728a.js

October 21, 2014 8:01 pm

It looks very cozy in there with all the seating and the fire going in the fireplace. I've never had a leather sofa before but bet they are easy to live with. That's helpful when you have kids.

Cozy Little House
October 21, 2014 8:22 pm

It looks great! Heck yes I'd take a leather sofa if someone was giving it away. You were in the right place at the right time.Brenda

marty (A Stroll Thru Life)
October 21, 2014 8:51 pm

I love this room and how you mix all the different styles and elements together. So fun and what an inviting space. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

October 21, 2014 9:25 pm

Score on the leather sofa Holly. There was a time when I thought the very same thing… cold in the winter, sticky in the summer. Nope. awe got a leather sofa when we got Master Vic as a pup, and last year, a leather recliner. LUV the worn distressed look of my recliner. Your room looks so cozy!Hugs, Gee

October 21, 2014 10:32 pm

Holly- That room looks great with the industrial style piece you have in there. All rooms can't take the look. Yours can. Your room looks really comfortable and homey, too. A place I would feel right at home. xo Diana

October 21, 2014 10:45 pm

You have got to love a free sofa. It looks fabulous. I love the industrial shelves.

bj
bj
October 21, 2014 11:09 pm

wow…a free sofa and leather, no less. AWESOME…your living room is so cute with all your personal touches…

Elizabeth BlueClearSky
October 21, 2014 11:29 pm

Your room looks great! I always love a great leather couch and for free -even better. The industrial shelving is a great piece for your TV components too. I love a room that a family can relax in and is still stylish.

Audra Renewed Projects
October 22, 2014 2:54 am

I adore that missing alphabet letter picture on the mantel. So cute!

jenny perez
October 22, 2014 3:16 am

Holly Loving your eclectic style and mixing the old with the new industrial!Jenny @ Renovardesign.com

October 22, 2014 3:48 am

Your family room always looks so comfy no matter how you have it arranged. Great leather sofa, and I'm loving the coffee table.Mary Alice

Kammy Wielenga
October 22, 2014 1:03 pm

So cozy and inviting!! Love it and pinned to Trash 2 Treasure Highlights board. 🙂 p.s. almost bought that rug at TJ!

Junkchiccottage
October 22, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi Holly,I love your family room. I love the leather with the fabric mix and the lighter walls. I just ordered a new sectional in leather for my family room. I have had a slipcoverd sectional that I love in the room with all my cream and white and chippy pieces but I am so tired of cleaning the white slipcovers on that sectional. I do not have my kids at home anymore but I have a basset hound that loves to get up on there. I think I am going to like the carefree leather when I get it.… Read more »

Mary Ann
October 22, 2014 6:12 pm

We have the same couch and our dogs love it!

Robin Johnson
October 22, 2014 8:35 pm

You've given the room a very cozy look. I love the mix of colors and textures. Looks fabulous.

Sandi~A Cottage Muse
October 22, 2014 11:37 pm

What a great room…love all the details!!!

October 23, 2014 7:33 pm

Hey Holli, YES a new leather sofa….I have had mine for years and love it…..We are thinking about getting a sectional for our Family room and I would always get leather again. I love the industrial touch added to the family room….

felicia harris
November 6, 2014 8:01 pm

Would it work to use a dark leather chair and ottoman with a microfiber (suede look) light brown sofa. Both have bun feet/legs, roll arms. :-/