Decorating with Old Windows & Where to Find Them

I use old windows in my decorating a lot. The following photos are from some older posts that feature these vintage beauties. I have made message boards, art and tables with them and have used a window as a fireplace screen and for backdrops for other home accents. My headboard in our Master Bedroom is one of my personal favorites.

New Display Wall with Function
I get emails asking me “Where do you find all your old windows?”
Well, I have to tell you that it depends on the region of the country you live in, really. I collected most of my old windows while living on the East Coast. There are much older buildings out here apposed to say Utah – where I grew up. Mostly I can find them for free…WHERE?
Glass and Window Replacement shops. YUP! You have to be brave and ask the owners. I found a small locally owned company that had them stacked in the back of the store – ready for the DUMPSTER! (What?) I made the owner some cookies and sweetly asked for them but I also offered to pay. He was so happy to get rid of them and he even delivered the largest one to my house.
If you live out West where things are a little newer you might have to pay retail. There are antique and boutique shops that sell them. I have paid anywhere from $12 to $25 for them out there. Some places are asking $40 or more for pretty standard sizes. I suggest grabbing two or more and offering a flat rate that would be less than the full price of each added together. You gotta bargain with these things because the whole point is to save money and keep junk out of our landfills. The overhead on these windows should be next to nothing.
I have moved around the United States a bit and I have learned to take advantage of the style the region offers me. Make the most of what is available to you. Embrace the style even if it isn’t exactly you – say Southwest? Mix it with your own decorating taste and see what happens.
I’m not usually a very “wordy” blogger but – well – I had some info. to offer today.
Thanks for reading!
See my bedroom featured HERE today and see other lovely decorating with windows ideas!
And if you love windows – you probably love doors – see THIS POST for wonderful door ideas.

Please share where you find your windows and where-abouts you live.
Thank YOU!!!
Sharing with:
The Charm of Home – Home Sweet Home
Funky Junk Interiors – SNS #174
Funky Junk Interiors – SNS #175 What to do with old windows

Coastal Cottage Dreams
February 8, 2013 5:29 pm

Love your window ideas, they look great!

Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm
February 8, 2013 6:18 pm

Oh my! So much eye candy and great window information here! Thank you! I'd better go look at that door post!

Sassy Southern Lady
February 8, 2013 6:51 pm

Your post made be want to use some old windows in my home.

Lisa @ Life is Crazy Beautiful
February 8, 2013 7:19 pm

They can be quite hard to find here in Kansas…I found several through buying some old doors on CraigsList from a gentleman who installs new windows and doors for a local store. They let him keep the old ones if the homeowner doesn't want them. So they are free for him = affordable for me. Make friends with a window/door installer for Home Depot/Lowe's, etc, ha ha!

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest
February 8, 2013 8:50 pm

Such great information here. I once bought some old windows at a yard sale for nothing. I wanted to put some fake windows on our shed to make it look less like a shed. They were already painted white with the perfect chippy style. Love the photos you showed us. 🙂

Gail
February 8, 2013 9:07 pm

What a great post Holly! I love old windows, doors and shutters! I love how you have displayed them throughout your home. Enjoy your weekend, Gail

Holly
February 8, 2013 11:19 pm

Wonderful pictures and fabulous ideas. I have a lot of old windows, but my question is how to hang them?? I have a HUGE one that I want to hang in my entry, but I fear it falling and killing someone!Please advise…Hollystockmans4@gmail.com

February 8, 2013 11:27 pm

I love doors and windows–and here in Oregon they are really hard to find and expensive. You do beautiful things with them–very inspiring!

Dawn
February 9, 2013 1:48 am

Love all your window and how you use them, great post I enjoyed all the pics and helpful window hunting tips:)

Blondie's Journal
February 9, 2013 2:50 am

I love all the creative ways you use your windows, Holly. Thanks for the tips on where to find them. There are some gorgeous old homes in my neighborhood and they seem to be upgrading their windows constantly. I have to check out the window replacement shops. Thanks so much!XO,Jane

Leslie Harris
February 9, 2013 3:20 am

Great ideas Holly. I live in California and I think window replacement shops or repair ones are still good sources. But I want an old door!! I love how you decorate, esoecially with windows and doors :)Leslie (Gwen Moss)

Michele Alger
February 9, 2013 6:29 am

I'll run into them on craigslist on occasion-for free! Love it when that happens!

sheri
February 9, 2013 2:48 pm

I love your ideas! I have an old transom window from a school house that has frosted glass in it. It's a solid pane. Any ideas?

February 9, 2013 4:24 pm

these are all such creative uses–tfs:) love the door ideas, too! your pantry door is so my favorite!

Pendra
February 9, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks Holly… your bedroom headboard is still my favorite, I can't get enough of your decorating style!Hugs,Pendra

February 9, 2013 8:31 pm

I've had all of these pics pinned already!!! haha …projects for another day!! so much personality!

February 9, 2013 9:07 pm

thanks for sharing the tips on where to find old windows. I never knew that's how you found them. I live on the East coast so maybe I would be lucky too! I love how you've used yours. I like how they add architechtural interest without being too busy.

February 9, 2013 9:55 pm

I love using old windows and doors! Yours are fabulous, especially the gigantic one behind your sofa, and my all time favorite…your headboard. You also have such great ideas for using them. So inspirational, Holly!Mary Alice

Bliss
February 10, 2013 12:32 am

Nobody does doors and windows better than you!Bliss

Korrie@RedHenHome
February 11, 2013 6:25 pm

Great inspiration! I love old windows, and have a few carefully hoarded for when I figure out what to do with them 😉

Amy Kinser
February 16, 2013 3:13 am

I love using old windows! Yours look great how you have used them, Holly. Always love your creativity.

Heather Dueweke
February 18, 2013 6:03 pm

Hello! You have such an eye…I have been inspired by your work and have had many complements from friends and family. Thanks so much for all you do and keep at it!

Debbiedoo's
February 20, 2013 12:57 pm

I never realized you had so many Holly, but boy can you work a room with an old window. I love all the versatile ways you share.

February 28, 2013 2:28 am

wow! i love your blog, the way you decorate it..its pretty awesome, you really have done a great job..window replacement pittsburgh

Barrett Elmore
March 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Imagine a house without a window – sad and gloomy. A window is a great part of our house. It can describe our personality and define our mood sometimes. A wide and bright window will always cheer you up, right? Your works would inspire people to see their windows as more than just a part of the house, but a part of our lives as well. Kudos to you!Barrett Elmore

Joyce Howell
April 19, 2013 2:47 am

Just came across your site and love the use of old windows. Some with the glass, some without. we are particularly interested in the grouping you had going up the staircase wall.I couldn't tell from the photo if you took the glass out to lessen the weight or not. We were lucky to find a local lady who let us have all we wanted for $15 a piece, with glass. They seem heavy and since its a rental, the weight and size of holes needed are a concern. we were wondering how you prepared them for hanging. Not even sure… Read more »

Joseph
May 25, 2013 2:46 am

I have been in West Coast for 15 years and I have found a couple of retails that are selling Antiques at really low prices, In Los Angeles there is a couple.Custom Draperies

Lindsey
September 10, 2013 3:01 am

I live in Pasadena, CA and have to say that there are definitely old buildings all over Los Angeles. But not only old buildings, but ooollld houses. Especially in Pasadena. My husband use to work for a Resto-mod company and they sent him out all the time to find vintage pieces to bring houses back to their original period. You will certainly have to pay for them (unless you come across a tear down in-progress and beg…) but there are a good amount of restoration shops that sell only vintage pieces for restoration purposes. You CAN find them out here… Read more »

Sophia Evans
February 20, 2014 11:12 pm

This is such a great post! My husband and I have had the same bed for about five years, and I feel like it's time for a change. Shake things up a little bit; get new colored sheets, replace the pillow, and I would LOVE to replace our headboard. I never really liked it much, and would love to go with a new modern head board. I especially love the window pane above the bed idea. It's completely perfect! United Glass

Matthew
September 1, 2014 8:01 pm

Hey there! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about creative ideas how to decorate old windows. I am glad to stop by your site and know more about decorating. Keep it up! This is a good read. You have such an interesting and informative page. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well.Matthttp://www.windowplanet.com

Sara Welsh
October 7, 2014 9:58 pm

I have been wanting to replace my windows, but I've felt bad about throwing way the old ones. They're good windows, but I'd really like ones that go with my home renovations. I think this is such a cute and great way to reuse old widows for decorations.Sara Welsh | http://www.springerconstructioninc.com/services/replacement-windows/

Window Man
December 19, 2014 7:41 pm

I always save the old window panes. They can be used for many different thinks like they are in this article. Windows make a great addition to a home.

December 5, 2015 7:40 am

Thanks for taking the time to discuss that, I really feel strongly about it and love learning more on that topic. If achievable, as you gain competence, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is highly helpful for me.sliding glass door repair

Deb Morrow
June 16, 2016 3:30 pm

We have a construction company and we remodel old homes. We have approximately one hundred old windows and doors. We are located in central Indiana. Please contact if you are interested in them. We also have lots of old radiators for heating. My email is debjeffmorrow@yahoo.com. Thank you!;

Deb Morrow
June 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Home Windows
August 3, 2017 12:37 am

Thanks for your post which is truly informative for us and we will surely keep visiting this website.Cost To Replace Windows

Elsi M
October 25, 2017 6:05 pm

I just replaced my windows. They were from 1923 Spanish house. If someone is interested in buying them for $7.00 each let me know. I have over 20 pieces. Please e-mail me if interested. I am in Southern California. Thank you