Hanging Ferns and Wreaths

I want to share some updates to my front porch with you.
Aren’t my new ferns gorgeous? My friend gave them to me for helping her decorate her family room. Her family owns Cross Creek Nursery in Richmond, Virginia.
A beautiful place to visit.
I bought this spray bottle to keep the leaves nice and moist. My plants seem to do really well when I give them a spritz of water on their leaves –
along with watering the soil.
My preserved boxwood wreaths & topiaries will appreciate the water spray, also.
I hung these little boxwood wreaths from the front windows.
I didn’t want to put a nail in the vinyl siding so I used bulldog hooks clipped to the top of the window trim. Using twine – I tied the wreaths to the hooks….
then tied a lose bow at the top. I like the look and it works perfectly.
Even though the wreaths are not visible from the road – they make this sweet spot feel so cozy along with the full ferns. Our porch is anything but private so the ferns make it seem like we are in our own little oasis.
 Spring weather is really beautiful and this porch full of greens is a favorite place to enjoy it.
(I show you this area a lot – but I love it)
Have a Wonderful Spring Weekend!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Read this if you are a blogger – if not, you probably won’t care.)
On a completely different subject. Tell me your thoughts on “re-posting”.
Do you do it? Why?
I always thought it was sort of a “butting in line” kind of thing but some of the nicest bloggers do it. I read blogs from the blog roll in my sidebar all the time and lately I see several of the same posts popping up more than once in a day, or even the week, pushing the newer posts down the roll.
I try to be a super friendly and courteous blogger, so this is mentioned just out of curiosity. What do you think?

Shelly Hardage-Wilkerson
April 12, 2013 5:36 pm

Looks very pretty.

Shelia
April 12, 2013 5:38 pm

Your porch is so lovely, the plants and your entire home is just gorgeous! About the reposting, I've done it a few times but it would be a post back from a year or more. You know some folks will go back into a post and just change the date or time to bring it back up to the top so blogs will see it again. I have done that…posted my post at night and then updated the time so it would be up again the next day, especially if I was linking to some parties. Maybe that's what some… Read more »

April 12, 2013 5:46 pm

Thank you!!!

April 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Pretty porch Holly. I just moved my BIG fern form the sun room to the dining room. Glad to read the spritzing tip. I am NOT a gardener… I have barely any luck with plants. This ( the fern) is one of my oldest plants. I will be spritzing now when I water the soil. re blogging… If I post something at night, I would repost on my FB during the day sometimes. Not sure if that is what you are referring toHere's to a wonderful Friday, and a Fab weekend. Hugs, Gee

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage
April 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Your porch is so pretty! Love the lush full ferns! What a lovely place to hang out with a glass of lemonade!I didn't know what re-posting was until you explained it. But I have been wondering why certain blogs in my blog roll were popping back up to the top. Hmmm, I'm going to have to think about how I feel about that. I'm finding out a lot of people take blogging waaaaay more seriously than I do. For me it is more hobbey than a job so stuff like re-posting doesn't even occur to me!

April 12, 2013 6:02 pm

My thoughts exactly. Thanks you Lisa!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME/Doublewide Decor

I love your porch….and no, I will be totally honest. I do NOT like the reposting. I believe the reason for it is to get more hits on their blog, which if they get paid, means more money. That is fine if that is what blogging for them is about, but not for me. I use my blogroll also, but I try to remember if I already read that post. Blogging for me is more of a hobby…albeit a lot of time hobby….

Nancy
April 12, 2013 6:20 pm

I don't care for the reposts. Having gotten that out of the way…your porch is lovely! I have no luck with those kinds of ferns but I discovered Asparagus Ferns last year and they are super easy to take care of and provide the much needed greenery here in our dry (and getting drier) part of the country. I had about a dozen and will probably end up having twice that many this year. ;D I really love your \”down to earth style.\”

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper
April 12, 2013 6:30 pm

i love all those fresh green touches!!! ferns like that are my favorite! 🙂

April 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi Gee…you must have a green thumb if your fern is the longest living. I find them hard to keep healthy so I am nervous about these new ferns of mine.I post on FB sometimes, too but I am referring to date or time changing on an original post. I don't do that but I have posted a an old post from the year prior once.Just wondering.

April 12, 2013 6:44 pm

Ceekay…I have adds on my blog and the little bit of money I get for them pays for supplies for the next project. I blog for fun, too. I appreciate your thoughts. Good to see you here! Thank you!!! xo

April 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi Nancy…First of all….I am so jealous of your \”dry\” part of the country. I bet you have good hair – I know that is so goofy to say but the humidity here in the south forces me to wear hats and hair bands. Ugh! (I'm from Utah)Good to know there is an \”easy\” fern to grow. I will watch for the Asparagus Fern for the inside of my house. I love ferns. :)Have a super fun weekend! Thanks for dropping by and leaving a sweet message.

April 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Yes….thank you! Me too! You could grow them in your neck of the woods too. 🙂

Lynn @The Vintage Nest
April 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi Holly, I was just at that nursery last week! I used to live very close to it and remember when it first opened. It's really grown. Love your ferns. I just put mine out a few days ago too. Have a super sweet weekend.

Angela @hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com
April 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Gorgeous! Do you think it would be possible for me to come and have a cup of coffee or tea on your porch? 🙂

Linda@Coastal Charm
April 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Holly, Super neat idea on how you hung your boxwood wreaths. Thanks for coming by and leaving a comment about my question. So many people only read the posts that are in the last 10 or so…that's why so many people (like myself) refresh their posts.Blessings,Linda

Blondie's Journal
April 12, 2013 8:24 pm

Your home is beautiful inside and out! And your porch…heavenly! I love ferns, I never thought to mist them and some I've had for years. I plan to make some boxwood wreaths this summer as soon as we trim ours. Did you make yours yourself? Any tips on the upkeep other than misting?Not sure how I feel about re-posting. I've seen some bloggers re-post something popular they wrote when they are busy or on vacation or something. If I've read it already, I just skip over it.XO,Jane

April 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Holly, Your ferns are gorgeous, making your porch look ready to enjoy! It looks like your front beds are further along than ours, even though we're just a little north of you. It took me a little while to figure out what some bloggers were doing when their same posts would appear at the top of my list. Personally, I find it a little annoying, but I guess some are a lot more intense about blogging than I am.Mary Alice

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky)
April 12, 2013 8:53 pm

No wonder you like your porch! I have always wanted a porch like that. Love the rockers and the ferns were lovely gifts. Love the rustic bench too. I keep wondering how they would do on the front post of our much smaller porch. I may just have to try it and thanks for the spritzing tip.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary
April 12, 2013 9:48 pm

Your porch looks so inviting. Love the boxwood wreaths and your ferns are great.Have a wonderful weekend. I'm a Virginia girl from down around Roanoke but now in SO CA.Mary

Corn in my Coffee-Pot
April 12, 2013 10:52 pm

Your porch looks so pretty. I love how it is so inviting. You're right the ferns do shield the view and provide a bit of intimacy. I'm wondering about the 'preserved' in preserved boxwood. Is this real boxwood that has been dried like the Hydrangeas I see everywhere? Are the box-woods 'evergreen'? I've clicked on some links and see other things that you've done with them they add a nice touch to the porch. As to 'bumping' or re-posting. I'm not sure about it. I make a lot of edits when I post and have to update my posts…Does that… Read more »

April 13, 2013 12:27 am

Beautiful house and porch pics….I love those wreaths on the twine…..

Holly Browning
April 13, 2013 12:28 am

Oh…you used to live here but now you are farther south? Small world.

Holly Browning
April 13, 2013 12:28 am

PLEASE DO!!!!

Holly Browning
April 13, 2013 12:33 am

So..I love your name my-dogs-my-garden-and-mary….so cute! I am new to Virginia and love it! Warm! You are probably loving the west coast – dream! Maybe the humidity is a little less – I miss dry air.

Holly Browning
April 13, 2013 12:41 am

Pat…Thanks for your input. I have just recently seen more 'bumping' and I wasn't sure what would happen of we all did that. I blog for a hobby – it is quite fun. I like to read other blogs from my sidebar but not read the same posts twice.The 'preserved' part of my boxwood projects I did not do. I bought them that way in a topiary form. I want to learn how to preserve them myself but I have never had real boxwood bushes big enough to trim back. I would google search how to treat them if I… Read more »

Holly Browning
April 13, 2013 12:41 am

Thanks Christine!!!!

Carol
April 13, 2013 12:53 am

Your porch is absolutely so charming and most inviting, Holly! The ferns and boxwood wreaths look wonderful. Love those rocking chairs!I guess I hadn't really thought about reposting. Blogging is a total hobby for me, no sponsors, no earnings, etc. I kind of think some bloggers get a bit too intense about blogging and making money, and that can't be any fun. But, if that's what \”floats their boat,\” then so be it. I haven't ever reposted, but I'm not saying I never will — but it would be something from the past that I think might be interesting, and… Read more »

Gwen
April 13, 2013 1:09 am

Hey girl! I adore those mini box wreaths!!! I think it is fine to repost an older post. \”They\” say that your audience changes every three months, so most people today haven't read your older posts. I actually have never done it, but if I get in a pinch or get sick, I might… and I have some older posts that I might re-do…since I have a better camera now!

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic
April 13, 2013 1:18 am

Your front porch looks so inviting. I love the view with the whole house, it looks so nice and green. What a great place to have coffee in the morning.On the reposting, I do see other bloggers doing it. I don't because I hardly blog! 🙂 If it feels right to you then I think it is fine to do.Have a great weekend!~Shanon

Amy Kinser
April 13, 2013 1:32 am

Hey girl. Love the porch. I have never seen the bullfrog clip idea. You are waaay too smart.Don't understand bumping completely, but I don't think it's something I would do. The only reason I might do it would be on accident.

April 13, 2013 2:51 am

You have hit on my favorite porch hangings- those big old ferns. Last year our HD had them for about $8 each! The sad thing is we can't hang them outside until the first of June for fear of frost- crazy, huh? Your porch is just beautiful.I find reposts give me pause because I open them up and then have to scan a few seconds before I realize that I read it earlier. I guess people do it to get more comments or more coverage, I don't know. The only way I would do it myself-is if I have a… Read more »

April 13, 2013 4:13 am

First of all–love your house and your front porch is gorgeous! Those ferns are so pretty–I have been wanting one for in the house but not sure if I could keep it alive. I have some ferns in the garden from the previous owners an they seem to do great, thankfully :)I do not like re-posting!

Terry Moore
April 13, 2013 11:22 am

Love all the details. I am ready for spring to get here and stay. Cold one day warm the next.

April 13, 2013 2:57 pm

LOL!!!

April 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Thanks Sandy! xo

April 13, 2013 3:00 pm

We must live near each other….30 degrees one day – two days later 91. Have a fun weekend!

April 13, 2013 3:01 pm

Amy K! The sweetest person in the world….Thank you for your comment. 🙂

April 13, 2013 3:10 pm

I understand featuring a post from a season from a year prior or refreshing a link-party, prayers or something of that nature. I realize our audiences change over a few months time so we like to show popular older posts. I usually will just do link backs for those. It's refreshing the same post in the same day or week that I wonder about. It \”bumps\” the newest posts from other bloggers down the line. I am not sure if I think that is a nice thing to do or not. What if we all did that? You are a… Read more »

April 13, 2013 3:12 pm

I love my new ferns. I hope I can keep them alive. xo

April 13, 2013 3:14 pm

I would google search how to preserve the clippings of your boxwood. I had a real cut boxwood wreath from a nursery but it only lasted one season – dried out.Thanks for commenting!

April 13, 2013 3:17 pm

My friend told me the ferns need lots of shade. Mine will get morning sun but shade the rest of the day. We'll see how this goes – hopefully I don't kill them.

Leslie Harris
April 13, 2013 4:45 pm

Holly I really enjoyed this post. I always love to see what you're up to around your lovely home (I'm jealous of that porch haha) but I read through the comments about the re-posting too. I've never thought about that before and I didn't realize it was happening so much. The longer I blog the more I learn how driven some bloggers are, nothing wrong with that. But it helps me realize I'm more interested in the connections. Life feels too busy to make blogging another thing to measure ourselves by…at least that's my humble old opinion. Thanks for bringing… Read more »

ImSoVintage
April 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Ferns are my favorite for a porch. Yours are beautiful. I always give them a spritz, too as they seem to love it. I have never even thought of reposting. I am always one step behind, though :)Laura

Pendra
April 13, 2013 11:01 pm

Holly your porch is so inviting, looks like a great place to sit with a lemonade and a good book! I love ferns, always have but have never had very good luck with them in pots, our last house we had tons of them inground and we loved them so much! I'm gonna watch how you do it and maybe give it another try, they look so great on your beautiful porch! And you know how I feel about your boxwoods…it was LOVE at first sight! As for reposting, I didn't even put two and two together that people would… Read more »

My name is Rita
April 13, 2013 11:21 pm

Your porch is lovely! i love the ferns, the wreaths and the rocking chairs. If you get a chance, please link this to my sunday linky (starts sat 6pm) http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/

April 14, 2013 12:34 am

Every three months…interesting. I need a netter camera, too!

April 14, 2013 12:35 am

Good to see you Shanon! I love when you visit me.

April 14, 2013 12:43 am

Hi Leslie, my friend! Yes, the longer I blog the more I see the motives of other bloggers. I do love the connections we make here and I am continually impressed and inspired by my fellow blog friends. I like a little \”reaction\” to posts I do here and there but I am not a \”numbers\” watcher. Once in a while I will check to see what was pinned but lately I am oblivious to \”stats\”. Don't be jealous of my porch – it isn't really \”mine\”…just renting. As we search for another home – the more I think I… Read more »

April 14, 2013 12:44 am

I'm usually three steps behind – lol!