Want to see what I was working on last week?
Painted in a slate color (a special mix of a few).
The family wanted this wine rack that was given to them incorporated into the island.
So I rebuilt the rack to fit on one end. It was 4 inches too wide so I made a frame the size I needed it to be. I attached it to the wine rack and cut the piece down to size with my table saw.
I wasn’t exactly sure how to do this at first but it worked out in the end….
On the back of the island I applied new and old wood.
(some of these pictures I took with my phone… =/ )
I used 2×6’s and 2×4’s to make the legs chunky.
1×6’s for the feet.
Add two wooden brackets to the back for the butcher block top overhang.
The butcher block top was from the house that Liam grew up in. I rubbed it with some dark walnut and a bit of ebony stain.
I hand pick the wood so that I get pieces with good rough character.
(the guys at the lumber store used to think I was crazy – I made them look up my blog)
I seal the painted island with satin laquer. Laquer is not usually recommended because it can eat up the paint….that’s exactly why I use it.
(I don’t have a tutorial on exactly how to do this – you just have to play around with it to see what works for you)
I painted a lot of the island black first so that when the laquer eats the paint up here and there – the black will show through. This picture above is an example.
We were going for a RUSTIC, OLD and FUNKY look….
I think we “nailed” it!
A BOLD statement piece for this kitchen remodel.
(I love when people are brave enough to let me do these projects in their home)
Thank you Liam and Kristin!