Easy Curb Appeal – 10 Ways

I love my home to have a charming & comfortable feel at first glance, even from the street.
Bringing my style to the outside is important to me.

So I created this post to show some easy tips on how to make your home tastefully stand out among the other homes in the neighborhood. Here is a list of some of my own photos and ideas and a few others, too.

NUMBER 1
Remove Front Window Screens
I know this sounds like a pain but it makes such a huge difference.
This picture is from our home in Connecticut.

(photos taken on the same day)

Dark screens cover up part of the crisp white trim around the windows. By taking the screens off the trim looks thicker and brighter. If you have your house on the market – do this for sure!
We had full grid windows but so did our neighbors so I removed the bottom grids. Top grid only windows are a popular look with beach properties – which were only a mile away from this house.

NUMBER 2
Refresh the Entry Door with Color or
Add a New Door with Windows
This siding is great. Could I swap out vinyl for this???? Next house idea.
New England Home Design Blog
DESDE MY VENTANA
desde my ventana
stone steps - red door
houzz

Town and Country Living: Flirtatious Front Doors
town and country living

This door was purchased from Home Depot for around $200. I stained and installed it myself. My hubby did the door handle (the hard part). (that is a lock box on the handle for the Realtors)
Town and Country Living: Flirtatious Front Doors
 Red screen door. Love that.
Screen doors aren’t too expensive and add so much character.
NUMBER 3
Unique House Numbers

chalkboard paint
Pinterest photo – no link
I hung an old distressed frame around the standard numbers our builder installed.
NUMBER 4
Decorate the Porch with
 unexpected accessories outside as you would indoors.
NUMBER 5
Add a Trellis
DIY Trellis Over the Garage Door
Blue Roof Cabin
this post shows you how
trellis over garage
Close up Arbor Brackets, California installation.
Decorative Architectural Arbors
This doesn’t look that easy but I bet it could be done in a weekend.
NUMBER 6
Garage Accents

Sally at Love of Homes found this hardware set for her garage doors.
(I have seen them for $20 at Home Depot)

By: Sally at Love of Homes
Gives standard garage doors a carriage house look – quick!

love the garage door and the vines on the side
NUMBER 7
Add a Window Box or Two

Window boxes aren’t expensive and pretty easy to make.
Down to Earth Style: Outside in January
I invite the little birdies to my window with a feeder. The hook is hung from the shutter screw so I don’t have to make new holes in my house. Adding the star to my greens makes it so I have to keep less flowers alive. A bird house is cute there, too.
garden shed window box
Shabby Story
This photo is of a shed but how cute for the garage windows.
NUMBER 8
Update Shutters and Trim
She made her own shutters...so cute- by Love of Homes.
Love of Homes
Sally made her own shutters.
How to build Shutters~these are cute
The Handmade Home shows a tutorial on how they made these wooden shutters.
NUMBER 9
Be Creative with Your Wreaths and Pots

topiary, black stripe ticking, galvanized tins, baskets, crates...love everything!
Fröken Knopp

NUMBER 10
Decorate Above the Door with Iron or Garland

cute off center
no link – found on Pinterest

from my post Wreaths…lots of them

Ballard Designs

Keeping mulch turned and grass mowed goes a long way, too.
Sometimes it is the little things that make a big impression.
You can follow me on Pinterest here.
sharing with:
Photobucket

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper
January 18, 2013 1:56 am

that first image makes me swoon!!! the gray door and the weathered wood…. LOVE!

January 18, 2013 2:12 am

Curb appeal is extremely important when selling. Great tips!Mary Alice

Art and Sand
January 18, 2013 2:12 am

We have the added challenge that our front door is actually the back door. Our house was built when there were sidewalks to the beach in the front of each house and alleys in back. In the 60s the city removed the sidewalks and deeded the space to houses facing one another. The alleys became the streets and all newer homes face the alley. Our solution to turning our back door into a welcoming entry was to install a dutch door and paint it bright red. Buoys in primary colors and a red adirondack welcome people at the door.I love… Read more »

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living
January 18, 2013 2:16 am

Oh, this is the perfect post for me to read this year. I'm completely dedicated to sprucing up the outside of my house when it gets a little warmer out. We didn't get it done last year and I'm determined to freshen up the curb appeal in 2013. Thanks, Holly!!

Amy Kinser
January 18, 2013 2:18 am

Such great ideas! Okay dumb question…if you take the screens off, how do you keep the bugs out when you open the windows up?

Holly Browning
January 18, 2013 2:58 am

Amy…I don't open the front windows….Down fall but we usually have the heat on or the a/c. I put the screens back in for Spring and Fall when we do open them.

January 18, 2013 11:05 am

Oh, great post! I like the different ways to display the house numbers and those doors – oh my – makes me want to go out and paint mine (again)! Thanks Holly.

Julie @ Restlye Relove
January 18, 2013 11:40 am

Love all these ideas Holly! So inspiring. Our outside could use a all of the above. 🙂 Hope you don't mind me sharing on my FB page. Thanks, Julie

January 18, 2013 4:25 pm

At work reading your new post….want to go home this instant and start working on my outside…lol..Greetings

January 18, 2013 5:27 pm

such a great post, holly:) love the house number ideas, esp. (thanks for sharing my shed pic, too:)

Heather Carson
January 18, 2013 6:02 pm

love the garage accent hardware! what an easy add & makes such a huge difference!- heatherwww.ThisLifeIsYours.com

Sally LoveOfHomes
January 18, 2013 9:51 pm

What a great post…such great tips! Thank you so much for including my shutters & door hardware! Sally

Laurel@chippingwithcharm
January 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Great ideas and inspiration!! I've been wanting to add a trellis over my garage doors for years! Going to have to show this to my hubby 🙂 And I had no idea you could buy the hardware to \”fake\” carriage doors too?? I see a little redo in my future!! Thanks 🙂

Helen's Decor
January 20, 2013 3:57 am

Love all your ideas and those of others. It really does add curb appeal and more importantly it makes your home stand out in buyers' memory. Like they name it by the front French door…and that's a good thing. Very pretty and welcoming. Helen

seven
January 21, 2013 5:23 pm

The door you got from home Depot, do you remember the name of the door? Was it wood?Thanks

Michelle Alker
January 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Hello Holly! I love your Blog! You truly have a gift. Thank you for sharing it! Did you use your glazing technique on the stair rails and newells at your home for sale?

Sherry
January 23, 2013 3:39 pm

Great ideas! I love the hardware for the garage doors! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!Sherry