Aging Metal

A few weeks ago I ordered some brass darkening solution
for my shiny brass door knobs.
It didn’t work on my door handles because they were sealed with lacquer.

So I tried it on these new metal buckets I purchased at Target for $2.50 each.
I applied the watery solution to the metal with a sponge brush.
It only took a few minutes to turn darker.
See the difference?
I looked for this stuff at the hardware store but ended up ordering it on Amazon.
I filled the bucket with brown string lights and pine cones.
I’m getting ready to decorate my porch….(so sick of pumpkins about now).
In time, I know the weather would do this to my shiny buckets but…
since I want quick results – this brass darkening solution worked much better.

Linking to these parties:
French Country Cottage – Feathered Nest Friday

Gretchen
November 6, 2012 4:06 pm

What a great project! I've never heard of this stuff but it's now on my Weekly Shopping List.

Dorie
November 6, 2012 4:07 pm

Oooh I LOVE this!! My mind was a racin when I read this! Thank you so much for the tip:)

Coastal Cottage Dreams
November 6, 2012 4:51 pm

Like the effect on the buckets. I collected a bunch of pine cones yesterday for some crafts that I am going to work on soon too.

Gail
November 6, 2012 5:00 pm

How cute Holly! I love the results of your method of aging metal. I've aged metal with Lysol Toilet Bowl cleaner and have good results with that. I'm ready for a change too and I'm working on some Christmas projects now. Hope you are having a wonderful day, Gail

Blondie's Journal
November 6, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks for the info, Holly. I have some containers like this that I used to plant flowers in and I had wished they were a little darker and beat up looking! lol! This looks just like what I need for next spring!XO,Jane

Jane Craske
November 6, 2012 6:37 pm

Too cool!

Heather Carson
November 6, 2012 6:47 pm

love it!SO wish I had this info before my wedding… we used galvanized buckets to hold mason jars of water, however i had one looking aged and one looking new 🙁 ah well.xo – heatherwww.ThisLifeIsYours.com

Cozy Little House
November 6, 2012 8:29 pm

Did the trick! I'm sitting here in front of CNN, avidly watching.Brenda

Yvonne @ StoneGable
November 6, 2012 10:35 pm

Holly,This wonderful post came just in time! I love the look of your bucket…and the pinecones and sparkly lights. I just ordered a big metal tub and want to give it a little age!YEA! Now I know how!

November 6, 2012 11:17 pm

Thanks for sharing that product–looks great!

Dawn
November 6, 2012 11:36 pm

I have never heard of the stuff, but it worked like a charm, it certainly took away the bright shinny metal look.

November 7, 2012 6:15 pm

I love the look that achieved. Your pine cones and lights are the perfect touch. I too have collected pine cones on my walks and am using them through the house for fall.

ImSoVintage
November 8, 2012 12:39 am

I love this. I am ready to start pulling out the Christmas decorations. Maybe next week 🙂

tb
tb
November 8, 2012 6:34 pm

Target for buckets do tell where in the store might they be located. Just came back from target

Bella
November 10, 2012 7:39 pm

OH I must get my hands on some of that stuff! I have plenty of those tins that could use some aging. Thanks for the tips!

Andrea Giraldo
January 16, 2013 11:38 pm

. Any idea what the manufacturer on these tubs are? I looked for them at Target and had found one and I gave it away in a gift basket, but I was hoping to see if by chance it has a sticker on the bottom with another name for distributor and if you could measure for the dimensions so I can order the same size from online somewhere . I'm crossing my fingers they'll come back in season again this spring.